When the temperatures drop outside, it can be tempting to bring your space heater to campus. However, there are some important safety restrictions you must consider prior to bringing a space heater to UNT.
Before purchasing a space heater or contacting Emergency Management & Safety Services (EMSS) for a tag, it is your responsibility to first submit a “cold call/temp check” work order request to Facilities at 940-565-2700 or facilities.unt.edu (Click on “Request Service”). After submitting the work order, save the provided work order number.
After you submit a work order, Facilities will perform an on-site evaluation to see if the temperature in your workspace can be adjusted so that a space heater may not be needed.
If your area is still cold after Facilities performs an evaluation (and you would still like a space heater), complete the following steps:
- Request a "cold call/temperature check" for the area where the space heater would be
- If the office temperature is still too cold, request a separate work order for an Electrical site survey at your site where the space heater would be. Wait until Facilities confirm that the circuit/outlet may be utilized for a space heater
- Keep both work order numbers as you will need them for the EMSS Space Heater tag request
When the work orders have been closed the requester can submit a Space Heater Request to EMSS at this link. An EMSS team member will contact you to schedule a day/time to tag the Space Heater.
The space heater you choose must adhere to the UNT Risk Management appliance policy. The policy specifics the following requirements for space heaters:
- Operate on no more than 250 watts of power
- Be electric
- Be equipped with a tip-over, cut-off protection device
- Have the seal of an independent testing laboratory
- Not exceed the circuitry limits, as evaluated by UNT Facilities
- Be inspected and approved by the Emergency Management & Safety Services Fire & Life Safety Office
Thank you for your help in keeping the campus safe. If you have questions, please email Emergency.Management@unt.edu.
Space Heater Use
When using a space heater, always adhere to these safety recommendations:
- Plug the space heater into the wall, NOT into an extension cord
- Run the heater away from combustible materials, including desks and chairs
- Keep the heater on a solid, flat surface, away from foot traffic
- Keep heaters away from exits, so as to not impede egress
- Turn off and unplug the space heater when you leave the room
Read the full space heater guidance here.