Download the Space Heater Request Procedure information sheet here.
When the temperatures drop outside, it can be tempting to bring your space heater to campus. However, there are some important safety restrictions you must consider prior to bringing a space heater to UNT.
Before purchasing a space heater or contacting Emergency Management & Safety Services (EMSS) for a tag, it is your responsibility to first submit a “cold call/temp check” work order request to Facilities at 940-565-2700 or facilities.unt.edu (Click on “Request Service”). After submitting the work order, save the provided work order number.
After you submit a work order, Facilities will perform an on-site evaluation to see if the temperature in your workspace can be adjusted so that a space heater may not be needed.
If your area is still cold after Facilities performs an evaluation (and you would still like a space heater), complete the following steps:
- Request a "cold call/temperature check" for the area where the space heater would be
- If the office temperature is still too cold, request a separate work order for an Electrical site survey at your site where the space heater would be. Wait until Facilities confirm that the circuit/outlet may be utilized for a space heater
- Keep both work order numbers as you will need them for the EMSS Space Heater tag request
When the work orders have been closed the requester can submit a Space Heater Request to EMSS at this link. An EMSS team member will contact you to schedule a day/time to tag the Space Heater.
The space heater you choose must adhere to the UNT Risk Management appliance policy. The policy specifics the following requirements for space heaters:
- Operate on no more than 250 watts of power
- Be electric
- Be equipped with a tip-over, cut-off protection device
- Have the seal of an independent testing laboratory
- Not exceed the circuitry limits, as evaluated by UNT Facilities
- Be inspected and approved by the Emergency Management & Safety Services Fire & Life Safety Office
Thank you for your help in keeping the campus safe. If you have questions, please email Emergency.Management@unt.edu.
Space Heater Use
When using a space heater, always adhere to these safety recommendations:
- Plug the space heater into the wall, NOT into an extension cord
- Run the heater away from combustible materials, including desks and chairs
- Keep the heater on a solid, flat surface, away from foot traffic
- Keep heaters away from exits, so as to not impede egress
- Turn off and unplug the space heater when you leave the room
Read the full space heater guidance here.