ICS & NIMS Training
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security recommends all "key personnel" involved in school emergency management and incident response be trained in the National Incident Management System and the Incident Command System. Because the process for defining key personnel is complex and universities have frequently requested feedback, the Department of Education has developed recommendations for consideration when determining who should be trained in which courses. "Key personnel" can be defined as any of the following:
General Personnel - Personnel with any role in emergency preparedness, incdident management, or response. General personnel may include:
- Facilities, Housing, and Food Preperation Staff
- Coaches and Athletic Staff
- Technology Specialists
- Resource staff and support personnel
Critical Personnel - Personnel with a critical role in response such as Incident Commander, command staff, general staff, or member of another key campus emergency management team.
- Command Staff - refers to any staff that serves as incident commander, public information officer, safety officer, or liason officer.
- General Staff - includes any staff that serves on the Incident Management Team or in the EOC as part of planning, operations, logistics, or finance and administration branches of the Incident Command System.
Leadership Personnel - Personnel with leadhership role and are typically obgligated to command and/or manage incidents that occured on the campus. Leadership personnel also include those who would likely be integrated into a more advacned ICS role should it become necessary, i.e., integrating with other local emergency management operations. Leaderhip personnel may include the following personnel:
- UNT President
- Cheif of Police
- Risk Manager
- Emergency Management Coordinator
ICS / NIMS Training Matrix
* Not available online. Course must be taken in person. Please contact Emergency Management personnel to assist with scheduling.